No one wants to think about their mattress as a breeding ground for mold, mildew, and bacteria. And as much as we want to push that image out of our minds, a moldy mattress may very well be the reality. The formation of mold in your bed is extremely common and is one of the most serious health issues you may have to address when figuring how to properly clean your mattress. Whether the mold is on the surface or buried deep down in the mattress, understanding what to do is an important first step to a healthier you and a peaceful night’s rest.
From basic allergy symptoms to more serious respiratory problems, mold is responsible for a host of harmful health conditions. Mold spores can be found almost anywhere in your home and are extremely difficult to eliminate. In most cases, the best way to treat mold from reproducing and making its way to your mattress is to try to prevent it before it begins.
Where Does Mold Come From?
In many ways, a mattress is like a giant sponge, absorbing moisture from any number of sources. Here are some of the main reasons why mold can reproduce on your mattress.
- Spilling any kind of liquid on your mattress can quickly turn it into a breeding ground for mold.
- In addition to causing mold to grow in and around your bed, high humidity can easily spread mold throughout your entire room.
- Even if you take great care of your bed, mold can form from perspiration while you sleep.
How Can I Help Prevent Mold From Forming?
Here are some helpful tips on how to stop the accumulation of mold:
- In order to prevent water from absorbing into the mattress, place a gas-impermeable mattress protector on top of it.
- Keep your bed well ventilated by sleeping with the window and the bedroom door slightly open. During day the day, allow your bed to breathe by uncovering your bed.
- Limit the number of houseplants in your home as they are extremely efficient at breeding mold.
- Make sure your room is well ventilated with a roof fan if it is in close proximity to a bathroom.
- If you have a mattress in the basement, it is probably a smart idea to invest in a dehumidifier.
- Thoroughly check for other sources where mold can accumulate, such as under carpets, behind dressers, and inside dressers.
Don’t let harmful dust mites, bacteria, and mold jeopardize the health of you and the people you care about. Getting a skilled professional to clean your mattress will effectively treat these disturbing issues, helping you get a better night’s rest.
SaraCares has a great Vancouver mattress cleaning service and an environmentally safe way to rid your beds of mold. Contact us today for a free estimate!