Healthy Upholstery: Keeping Your Furniture Safe from Toxins
Serious Health Concerns
Most upholstery fabrics and foams contain polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), flame-retardant chemicals that are believed to create serious health issues, including cancer. Additionally, to prevent stains, upholstered furniture is often treated with perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like formaldehyde, both of which can have negative health and environmental consequences.
What You Can Do
Since so many products contain flame-retardant chemicals, it may be a challenge to completely remove these harmful toxins from your home. Using these helpful tips will help reduce your amount of exposure to them.
- Purchase natural fibres. When purchasing new furniture, look for pieces that do not contain toxic finishes. You will want to purchase natural fillings that are inherently fire resistant, such as linen and wool.
- Repair any damage. It is important to repair any upholstered fabric as soon as possible. Fixing ripped upholstery and repairing or replacing damaged cushions or pillows will help reduce the release of flame-retardant dust.
- Dust and vacuum. In order to minimize the amount of PBDEs in your home, it is a good idea to dust and vacuum on a regular basis. Vacuum your carpets using a HEPA filter and use a damp mop on your floors and furniture to remove dust.
- Wash your hands. Regularly washing your hands, especially before eating, will help limit harmful toxics from getting into your body. It is also a good idea to avoid eating on the sofa.
- Have your upholstery professionally cleaned. Here at SaraCares, our upholstery cleaning Vancouver professionals use the safest, eco-friendly methods to effectively remove harmful chemicals from your upholstery.
Following these few suggestions should go a long way in helping to reduce the amount of unsafe chemicals in your home.
For more information on our healthy upholstery cleaning services or other cleaning services, contact us for a free estimate! Our friendly and professional staff will be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding the services we provide and the products we use.